"On the third day...my true love gave to me three French hens..."
If you include animal protein in your diet, this is the season to celebrate and give thanks for the ubiquitous chicken! Chicken supports our health by offering us a good supply of protein and essential vitamins and minerals. Here are five reasons eating chicken can be good for our health along with five recipes created by iTHRIVE’s good friend and culinary translator, Rebecca Katz.
- Chicken is a good source of lean, low fat protein that supports muscle growth and development. It also helps support a healthy body weight and can aid in weight loss.
- Chicken provides B vitamins which means eating this bird will help keep your blood vessels healthy, energy levels high, and metabolism burning calories.
- By eating chicken you are consuming Vitamin D which helps your body absorb calcium and strengthen your bones.
- Rich in niacin, chicken helps guard your genes from harm. This particular B vitamin has been found to help reduce cancer risk and prevent other types of genetic damage.
- Eating chicken can help relieve stress. Chicken contains tryptophan and Vitamin B5 which have a calming effect on your body. This makes chicken an excellent option for enhancing your mood after a stressful day.
One additional tip, Thriver. Chicken skin is full of saturated fat so try to avoid eating chicken skin too often! Now, it’s recipe time Thriver! Enjoy these chicken recipes and don’t forget to share.
- Old Fashioned Chicken Stock
- Nana’s Chicken Stew
- Robust Chicken Soup
- Orange Ginger Roasted Chicken
- Braised Chicken with Artichokes and Olives